Tuesday, July 1, 2014

Charming Crafts - Tin-talizing Garden Light

by Maggie Kelleher

Hi everyone! The Summer has gotten hold of my imagination, what about you? Something about sunshine and warm nights makes everything feel better! And to spice up those warm Summer nights I decided to try my hand at a My Grandma's craft this weekend. Let me know what you think!

I was inspired by a craft I saw on Pinterest by Crafts By Photo, and decided to give it a My Grandma's twist.

A cake tin is always so cute, and sometimes you just don't want to get rid of it, whether it has our logo or your pictures on it (did you know that you can order a personalized My Grandma's cake tin?!) But a pile of cake tins isn't very useful to anybody, so why not re-purpose them into something special?



What is that? It is a Summer night light made out of a My Grandma's tin, of course! Here's what it looks like in the light, with some of its own light beaming out. 


This would make the perfect little light for the garden or to line the porch at an outdoor Summer party!

And in the winter? It could make a great portable night light for the little ones. The possibilities are endless!


How did I do it? Easy! 

First, I used a sharpie to designate where I wanted the holes to go. I kept it simple, but experiment, you can create any design you want! 

Second, I took a drill to those sharpie dots, trying to keep the drill bits at a 90 degree angle to the tin's surface. A few times the drill tried to run away from where I wanted it to go, and the angle really helped to fix that and not scratch the paint.

You can see where the drill ran away around the middle hole.
Third, I added a candle. I would definitely suggest an electric candle. A real candle will pose safety concerns. I repeat, DO NOT use a real candle or real flame! Hot metal is never really a good idea, nor is it safe! 

A great alternative to a real flame is a mini battery-powered tea light like the one below. Mini battery-powered lights come in so many different forms, experiment with different colors and brightness to fit whatever you want to use it for. Much better than a boring old candle! You could even do a light that changes colors and have your own disco-tin dance party!
  

I used a light that produced a pretty low brightness and added a pretty, flickering effect to the room. Although it was not bright enough to function as a light source, it was the perfect addition to the room. I can not wait to use it at my next BBQ or bonfire. 


What do you think? Do you have any other ideas for places to use it? Let us know! We are on FacebookTwitterPinterestGoogle+, and LinkedIn. Share your thoughts, pictures, and ideas with us and we would love to give you a shout-out!

Want more creative ideas, recipes, and musings from Got Cake? Subscribe in the left-hand bar to stay up-to-date on the latest My Grandma's information! 

No comments:

Post a Comment