Wednesday, June 25, 2014

Fourth of July Fun- How Do You Dress Your Coffee Cake?

by Maggie Kelleher

The Fourth of July is fast-approaching! We are very excited and I bet you are, too!

To make your Fourth of July party extra-special, we here at My Grandma's have been experimenting with different ways to dress up our cakes for the Fourth of July!

Check out these inventive serving ideas to get some inspiration or create your own. Send us your ideas and pictures and we may even feature them on this blog and our social media!

Star-Spangled Slices



This was super simple. With a star-shaped cookie cutter, I extracted the gooey center of a piece of New England Blueberry coffee cake. In addition to showcasing the moist part of the cake as a star in its own right, this creates a great Fourth of July look. 

I filled the star cutout with Easy-Does-It Blueberry Sauce and then added a few splatters across the plate for dramatic effect and to make it "spangled."


Red, White, And Cake Kebab 


With some extra Ted Williams Chocolate cake I had in my freezer, I cut a few chunks of cake and skewered them alongside my own pattern of strawberries, blueberries, and raspberries. Perfect for no-mess eating!


The kicker... my sister told me that this cake tasted even better than the chocolate one we served a week before. I couldn't help but laugh as I told her that it was the same exact cake, just frozen into a fudge-like consistency.  

Apple Cake A La Mode 

Move over apple pie - there's a new dessert in town. Try our Granny Smith Apple coffee cake to mimic the traditional American dish with your own flair! I added some food coloring stripes and a single blueberry to the vanilla ice cream to dress it up!

With freshly-baked apple pieces and walnuts on top of the cake? Sooo good!

A blueberry mini-cake a la mode was just as good, and perfect for individual servings. 


Ice Cream Mini Trifle 

Want to dress it up even more? Make a mini ice cream trifle out of it! I used mason jars and my star cookie cutter to add a top garnish.

'

 Smaller jars might work better for individual servings, old jam jars would be perfect! 

Grilled New England Blueberry Coffee Cake. 

I know we featured this in our last post, but thought it was perfect for this round-up, as well.


Our Red, White, & Blue Patriot coffee cake might work even better than the New England Blueberry for the Fourth of July. Blue and red berries and garnishes will make it even more Independence Day-ready.

So go out there and make our cakes your own! The Fourth of July is just one of many coffee cake-ready holidays. 


Send us your pictures and ideas for us to feature! We can be found on FacebookTwitterPinterestGoogle+, and LinkedIn. Follow us for more coffee cake fun, serving suggestions, and happy musings. 

No comments:

Post a Comment