Friday, July 24, 2015

Delightful Delectables - Kahlua Soaked Coffee Cake Sundae

By: Amy Weinberg




Happy National Hot Fudge Sundae Day! What’s that you say? You’ve never heard of such of thing? Well, it’s a real thing, it’s a great thing, and it’s tomorrow. Tomorrow is also National Merry-Go Round Day. I would suggest not celebrating both of these days at the same time. You’re welcome.

Instead of going the traditional hot fudge, vanilla ice cream route, I decided to whisk things up a bit with this Triple Layer, Kahlua Soaked, Chocolate Mousse Coffee Cake Sundae. Again, you’re welcome.


Things You’ll Need:

Layer 1: My Grandma's of New England Cinnamon Walnut Coffee Cake, Kahlua

Layer 2 (The Mousse): 12 ounces of milk chocolate morsels, 4 Tablespoons of butter, 4 Tablespoons of water, 4 eggs yolks, 1 Tablespoon of sugar, 1 ½ cups of heavy cream

Layer 3 (The Whipped Cream): 1 ½ cups of heavy cream, 1 Tablespoon of powdered sugar

Last But Not Least (The Glaze): ¼ cup water, ½ cup sugar, 1 cup cream, ¼ cup coffee, 1 tablespoon vanilla.



Note: before fully committing to a recipe that involves freshly whipped cream, first check to see if you have an electric mixer. (Amy’s Hand-Made Whipped Cream Workout Video will be released later this year.)




Clearly, I want you to learn from my mistake. But, the chocolate was melted and the coffee cake was already soaking in Kahlua, there was no turning back now.




As for the coffee, I just went to Starbucks for my regular Café Americano. I set aside ¼ cup for the glaze, poured some Kahlua in the rest, and got to work. The coffee cake wasn’t the only thing soaked in Kahlua by the end of this.


For the exact recipe, check out this website.




I’m not going to lie, this came out a lot better than I thought it would. It’s not that I wasn’t confident in the recipe. What made me nervous was how my patience, or lack thereof, would impact my cooking skills. Pro tip? Playing your favorite album makes whisking for 6 minutes straight a little more bearable. I went with Days Are Gone by Haim.

I’m the kind of person that will spend hours in the kitchen making something and not even eat it when I’m done because I’m “just so over it.” “Get it away from me, I can’t even look at it anymore” I’d say, hoping someone else would try it and like it. Maybe it’s because I can’t handle the very real possibility of my hours of hard work leading to a dessert equal to a McDonald’s parfait. Anyways, this just looked too good not to eat.  


And let me tell you, McDonald’s wishes they could make something like this.




I went wish a mason jar because it was pretty and I wanted to seem creative. Although I did achieve my goal of it being pretty and creative (I think), the portion was a little ridiculous. Even for my standards. I was in a chocolatey coffee cake Kahlua induced coma. Ask me if I regretted it.




I did not.

No comments:

Post a Comment