Monday, October 19, 2015

Delightful Delectables - Coffee Cake Granola!

By: Amy Weinberg


As the last of the ice finally melted from my car on my way to the gym this morning, I thought about what it felt like to be warm again. I thought about summer and all of the grilled coffee cake I was eating just last month. By the time I got to the gym, I was almost in tears.


But I prevailed.

Through tear soaked cheeks I exercised and asked “God, how can I make this better?” God simply responded, “Coffee Cake Granola”.


(Edit: no real lines of communication were drafted between God and I)

What You’ll Need:

1 ½ cups old fashioned oats
1 cup chopped pecans
1 cup Rice Krispie cereal
1/3 cup honey
¼ cup coconut oil (or EVOO)
2 tablespoons cinnamon
2 tablespoons brown sugar

And a coffee cake of your choice. I went with the banana walnut to add that extra banana element. 



Now let me put this recipe on pause for a quick pop-quiz.
What is the best part of our coffee cakes?

Correct answer: The streusel on top

Only other acceptable answer: All of it

Once you preheat your oven to 350 degrees and combine the above ingredients, it’s time to mix in the coffee cake. You’re going to want to break up the streusel, but not too much. The amount you mix in with your granola is up to you, but I used somewhere between ½ cup and 1 cup. Once all of your ingredients are combined, spread the mixture evenly across a baking sheet. Set your timer for 30 minutes and grab yourself a blanket because you’ve been in the bitter cold far too long.



Once your timer goes off and you regain feeling in your hands, it is time to let the granola cool. Some chunks may be more stuck together than others but the great taste is prevalent throughout. With this perfect post-workout snack in hand I am ready to curl up on the couch and dream about a warmer life!



No comments:

Post a Comment