Thursday, May 28, 2015

Welcome Summer With Some Cool Cakes!

by Maggie Kelleher

With Memorial Day in our rear-view, it's time to start thinking about Summer, even if we're still kind of waiting for the thermometer to catch up. And what better way to welcome the Summer than with some cake and ice cream?! Can't think of anything better? Then I have the recipe for you! 


These mini coffee cake ice cream sandwiches will take you to beach-view rocking chairs and Summer bonfires, without having to leave your kitchen! This is my favorite recent project, and I am so excited to share them with you! Keep reading to find out how to make your own! 

 So, first things first: for these sandwiches I used My Grandma's mini coffee cakes, which come in wonderful variety packs of 9 cakes, 3 cakes each of 3 delicious flavors. The pack I used has Pumpkin Spice, Lemon Poppy, and New England Blueberry flavors, perfect for pairing with fun ice cream flavors!

I used a mini carton of vanilla ice cream for my sandwiches, with some mini chocolate chips to add some flavor, and I used this simple trick to make the perfect shaped ice cream center.


I just sliced the carton open! (Though I might suggest completely taking off the carton and just slicing the ice cream itself, if you can). 


Then I just placed the ice cream disk in between two slices of my mini coffee cake (this one New England Blueberry). I pre-froze the cake before slicing for a cleaner cut. 


YUMMM!


Finally, I rolled the ice cream delectable in a plate of mini chocolate chips, for the perfect crunch and flavor. And I slid this one back in its cake's individual wrapper and tied it with a bow (not pictured) for a fun little present for a friend. Try it yourself! I would love to hear what your friends think, the response I got was, "Yummmm! I would buy this." :)


I also experimented a bit with different slices of cake, and the little bite of a sandwich (made with a Lemon Poppy coffee cake) was just as delicious as the full sized!


 Now let that melty goodness lead you into Summer. Don't blame me if you start sweating!
Find the mini cakes here and share your sandwiches with us by linking to our social media!


And start your Summer in style with a gift for Dad that he will love (and can eat!) Find a cake (and celebratory tin) for Father's Day on our website or enter our Giveaway below to win one for free! 

Want more updates on the goings-on at My Grandma's? From friends to recipes to motivational thoughts, My Grandma's would love to share our musings with you through FacebookTwitterPinterestGoogle+LinkedInBloglovin, and/or our newest addition, Instagram!

No comments:

Post a Comment